1948 Indian Big Bas...

Notifications
Clear all

1948 Indian Big Base Scout Restoration

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

If Invercargill man Hamish Alan idolises anyone, it would be the Indian Wrecking Crew, a group of three motorcycle racing champions who rode their Indian Scouts to victory against Harley-Davidsons in the 1950s. Alan tells reporter Hannah McLeod how images of one of them racing inspired him to build his very own Indian racing bike.

I'm the only gearhead in my family but my love of bikes probably began when I was a kid, riding a little Benelli, or with my dad's old Indian motorcycle, which was in our garage under a bit of canvas.

My brother, sister and I would pull the sheet off and sit on it, bouncing up and down, pretending we were riding it, as kids do.

I think that old motorbike was a bit of an impulse buy of Dad's. It never ran during my lifetime, until I was about 18, when I decided to restore it.

I had to outsource a lot of the work because I simply didn't have the skills.

But a few years ago I saw 1950s race photos of another Indian motorbike, which I decided I wanted to build.

Fortunately, in my 20s, I quit my day job and started an adult apprenticeship as a fitter-turner, purely so that I could develop my skills to work on motorbikes.

I've built a 1948 Daytona Scout. The body's almost entirely original, but the engine is reproduction. I've managed to do most of the work on this myself, with a little bit of help from local man Ray McCulloch.

I hate to think how much it's cost me. There's a pile of receipts I haven't even looked at, but that's not the point.

This weekend, I'll be racing it for the first time at Teretonga as part of the Burt Munro Challenge. I've had a couple of test runs, and I've already figured out I'll never be satisfied.

I'll probably rebuild this bike three times over to reach my goals of developing the engine and getting to a good top speed.

Racing in the United States. these bikes could do 120mph, but they had been rebuilt in aluminium, not steel.

This bike won't get up there - it has brakes!

But, eventually, I'll probably start developing my own skills so that I can work with aluminium and continue working on this bike.

I've owned fast road bikes before, a Honda and a Ducati.

Problem was, I was getting faster and faster on the road, and I was probably pushing legal limits.

While I certainly respect and appreciate Burt Munro's achievements and his Munro Special, his Indian was a land speed bike, not a racing bike.

Mine looks like an everyday motorcycle but it's built for the track.

You can do things there that you can't do on the roads legally

Share: