2002 Spirit Starter

Notifications
Clear all

2002 Spirit Starter

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Have 02 spirit,dealer replaced starter at 400 miles.Starter has failed again at 800 miles.Why is starter failing so quickly?Can it be replaced with anything better? THANKS

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have an '02 spirit also. I get nothing when I push the start switch.
I'm pretty sure it's in the wiring. I had a new starter put in at 1500
miles. The original was too weak. If you're sure it's the starter take it
to a Harley dealer. They can work on S&S. Let me know what you find
out. Maybe we have the same problem.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

i have a 02 scout and my starter went out at 300 miles ,i put a spyke starter in mine and it turns over real nice......i figure if something goes out with low miles ,it cant be that good so i never replace with same brand

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

There was some kind of a proplem with to small a relay and I think a wire that was causing a lot of starter problems. There's a guy on e-bay selling a heavy duty relay and tips on other repairs for the starter. Instead of taking the starter to H-D shop go to an auto electrical rebuild shop ( starter & altornators) that starter is a Nipendiso and they can rebuild them for $60 typical, instead of $400 replacement. You may need to run an extra ground line heavy gauge from battery to your starter houseing. I had S&S engine with starter problems and ground wire was what finally fixed it after 2 starter repairs. It will work with out it but not correct current flow, and overheats.

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have a 2002 scout with 1500 miles on it. Just put new battery in the bike. Having starter problems. The starter zinges but woun't ingage. Do I have a ground problem or what?

ReplyQuote
Share: